Welham Boys' School

NewsField trip to Guru Ram Rai Gurudwara 18-02-2020

The Department of Social Science organised a field trip for Class VIII under the ‘Know Your Habitat’ programme. A visit to Guru Ram Rai Darbar Sahib was organized on 18th February, 2020. A team of 4 teachers along with 83 students accompanied by Mr. Ajay Sharma went to visit this hallowed Gurudwara. After reaching the Gurudwara, Mr. Ajay Sharma shared an engrossing tale about the history of Dehradun and Guru Ram Rai’s legacy. In this regard, the revered Guru’s role as a mediator in trying to placate the mighty Mughal emperor Aurangzeb’s misgivings was dwelt upon. How he managed to become Aurangzeb’s confidant and friend, how he was excommunicated from the Sikh community by Guru Har Rai and how he set up his ‘DERA’ in the Doon Valley leading to the establishment of Dehradun --- all formed a part of his vivid narrative. The steadily increasing rift and rivalry between Aurangzeb and his brothers and the various gripping tales associated with the ascension to the throne was brought to the fore. The students were enlightened about the hither to unknown facts about the Gurudwara. It is the finest example of Indo-Islamic architectural style and immense religious significance. The students were also intimated about how the SGRR Education Mission which still continues to contribute towards quality education and healthcare for lakhs of people.

Disclaimer

Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall. Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall. Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall.