Welham Boys' School

MS. OLIPHANT Founder of Welham Boys' School

MS. OLIPHANT

Founder of Welham Boys' School

Founded as the Welham Preparatory School in 1937, by way of a small self investment,
Ms Oliphant established an institution that in time would establish itself as one of the finest high schools in the country.

An early concern was finance and this was taken care of by a grant from Ms Oliphant's mother who sent the money from the village of Welham (name of country), in which Ms Oliphant spent her childhood.

Ms Oliphant came to India in 1920 and moved to Dehradun, from Delhi. She resolved to start a preparatory school in this salubrious and idyllic town, nestled in the Himalayan foothills. The first boy joined on 15 January, 1937 and within a year, there were thirty residential and twenty day scholars. Grade 5 was added in 1941 and by 1945, admissions swelled and the institution stood on solid footing. In 1941, the school banner was carried for the first time ever in the Games March Past, and on it was the school motto: 'From Strength to Strength'.

In time, Welham was recognised as a Preparatory School of repute, with a burgeoning student body as well as real estate. It's students acquired a sound foundation in English while talents as varied as art, carpentry and sports were honed individually.

Ms Oliphant donated all her assets to the Welham Boys' School Society in 1956 which today is administered by a Board of Trustees. It is to her vision and effort, and that of Principals who succeeded her, that Welham is a pioneer institute of learning today. Elevated to plus two Secondary School in 1985, Welham today is affiliated to the CBSE curriculum and prides itself in being among the foremost private schools in the country.

Disclaimer

Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall. Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall. Welham Boys’ School started life as Welham Preparatory School way back in 1937, when Ms. Oliphant invested her humble capital and started the School in a rented building, which she called White House. Later, she rented another building Bethany that today is our dining hall.